This post may contain affiliate links. Please read the disclaimer for more info.
Did you know that there are bloggers out there who own more than one blog? There are many ways to make money blogging. In fact, I mentioned a few of these in my previous blog post. Today, I’d like to share another one, which I have recently ventured myself, called blog flipping.
But before we get started, I just want to put it out there that If you need expert advice, I’d highly highly recommend Chelsea Clarke’s Blog Flipping Masterclass.
The Blog Flipping Masterclass will teach you the ins and outs of the blog flipping industry. In this course, you will learn how to start and develop a blog into a profitable asset, worthy of selling.
Okay, so let’s jump right in.
What is blog flipping?
Imagine buying an old house. You spend a month or two with the kitchen renovation, painting the living room walls, and mowing the lawn. Basically, making the house look pretty again. Two months later, you had the property listed as for sale with the help of a real estate broker.
This is the same as blog flipping. Blog flipping is the process of starting a blog from scratch (or buying one and developing it) and selling it for profit.
Why sell a blog?
- It’s profitable. Blog flipping is selling a startup or an established business. Doing so saves the investor the time, money, and energy to start everything from scratch.
- Earn your investment back. Starting a blog doesn’t have to be super expensive. In fact, you can start one in less than $20. But if you want to earn your investment back immediately, you can keep the blog for at least 30 days, and then flip it.
- Flip blogs instead of offering freelance services. If you are a burnout freelance writer, tired of clients breathing down your neck, blog flipping can be an excellent alternative if you want to make money blogging.
Get started with blog flipping
Step 1. Start a blog
In order to start a blog, you need a self-hosted WordPress website. First, you will need a:
- Web hosting. I use Interserver. They have flexible payment plans so you are not forced to pay 12 months’ worth of web hosting service from the get-go. They have a fixed-rate guarantee of $5/month. Plus, if you use my code Cherriebalictar, you can get your first month for just a penny. Sweet.
These two altogether won’t cost you more than $15. For WordPress tutorials, check out our YouTube playlist.
Step 1.1. Buy an existing blog and make improvements
You can scour the internet for blogs that have been abandoned by their owners. In fact, you can even find a lot of them on Pinterest. In buying a blog to flip, you need to consider
- Domain Authority (DA)
- Quality of the content (not stolen or plagiarized)
- Blog niche profitability
Where to buy blogs for blog flipping
- Blogsforsale.co – This blog marketplace is owned by Chelsea Clarke, and it is where one of my blogs is listed as for sale.
- Empire Flippers
Step 2. Polish the blog
Now that you have the backbone of a profitable blog, it’s time to make it sparkle even more. Enhance the overall appearance and performance of your blog by:
- Changing the WordPress theme
- Conducting SEO keyword research
- Updating blog posts for broken links
- Proofreading and editing existing blog posts
- Growing an email list
- Creating and growing social media platforms
Even if you are preparing for this blog to be sold, it doesn’t mean you can’t make money out of it while it’s yours. You can still monetize the blog with the help of:
- Affiliate marketing. ShareASale is one of the best affiliate networks out there to help you get started.
- Create and sell digital products
Moreover, these improvements can increase the market value of the blog. If you’re interested to know how much a blog is worth, I’d highly recommend Chelsea Clarke’s blog marketplace.
Step 3. Sell the blog
Now, for the most exciting part, how to sell a blog. You can, of course, sell the blog by looking for buyers yourself. Or, you can get a broker to promote and take care of the selling for you.
I suggest you check out Chelsea Clarke’s blog marketplace. There, you will find what type of blogs investors are looking for, and those that are highly profitable.
Early stages of my first blog flip
Below is a video I uploaded on YouTube which explains the process I went through to get my blog listed as for sale. This video will also cover the timeline, how much was my first offer (that I declined), and blogging expenses before and after the sale.
Please subscribe to our YouTube channel for more of these tutorials.
Don’t worry, I will keep you posted on my first blog flip so that you too, can explore this blogging business opportunity.
To wrap up, I think those who excel in blog flipping are the ones who have the resources to maintain and develop multiple blogs at the same time. So if you’re hands are already full, I suggest you enroll in Chelsea’s Blog Flipping Masterclass first. This way, you can get a bird’s eye view of how the business works. Plus, taking the course will save you time and money instead of trying to figure everything out on your own.
Moreover, if you really want to make money blogging with this method, know that this isn’t a get-rich-quick scheme. First, you have to know that not all blogs are sold right away. Some would take weeks, even months before you find a legit buyer. This is why it is encouraged that you have to monetize it while it’s yours. Second, choose a niche that isn’t seasonal. Lastly, work on your SEO skills. This may come in handy on your next blog flip.
That’s it for today. Are you interested in how to sell a blog for profit? Let us know in the comments. Take care.